[Techtoolslist] Data I/O 29B to PC cable?

Andy Welburn warlords at punkass.com
Fri Nov 30 10:49:54 EST 2007

I use my workshop pc (a P3-800) with the modified version, using a null
modem cable i think? its not a special modified cable, just something off
the shelf.

I run windows XP, file system is FAT32, dunno if that makes any difference?

but.... here's the thing... The only way it works for me is if i switch the
programmer on, wait for it to finish its self test... it'll say 'remote
mode' then i have 30 seconds to load up the promlink software, and perform
an action, any action that has to talk to the programmer, like 'process' or
'fill ram from master'.

It seems that if i don't do that, the programmer times out and the com port
gets 'stuck' and i have to reboot, there's no way of clearing it. Also power
cycling the 29b just goes through the self-test then instead of going to
remote mode reports somethgin like 'i/o error 33' which can be cleared by
disconnecting the serial cable and power cycling, then re-attatching the
serial cable, but it'll crash again with the i/o error if you havn't
rebooted the pc :-)

Thing is, the action i have to do doesn't need to do anything, and you don't
need to actually perform it, it just has to send something to the programmer
to tell it which socket to use, once its done that, it never times out and i
never have any problems with it.

Also, never switch the 29b on with a blank PROM in any of the sockets, it
will bugger them up.

Am i the only one that has to work with it like that? I don't mind really,
its been rock solid for the 8 years I've owned it, this particular pc/OS
configuration hasn't changed for at least 5 years i'd say... it works
perfectly otherwise.

Andy