[Techtoolslist] Building a Fluke 9010A RAM test for 5101s

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Thu Apr 16 20:33:55 EDT 2009

John Robertson wrote:

> Random ramblings...

> Has anyone created a test for these CMOS RAMs? I am not very good at

> programming and it would be useful to have this.

Gotta love hardware solutions...I found an old 22-pin glomper clip,
soldered a 22 pin IC socket to one side (12 - 22) and jumper wired the
other - except for the Data pins #9, 10, & 11.

Next put a second socket with legs 12 - 16 bent out (checked that they
wouldn't short to the 1st socket).

A four wire ribbon cable is now soldered to these pins (jumpered pairs
together) and the other end of the ribbon cable goes to a 24 pin socket
-with the wires tip soldered to the edges of the socket solder tabs D4 -
D7 pins (14 - 17).

Now the glomper fits onto the 5101 under test, and the 24 pin socket
plugs into, well, a 24 pin socket withinthe 10 inch reach of the ribbon
cable.

Voila! A handy, dandy way to test 5101s without unsoldering the
suckers(assuming the CPU is socketed) as the 9010A can now be used with
the short or long RAM test...

I'm going to put a ZIF socket on my glomperIC socket stack so I can test
my 5101 inventory - a number of them appear to be not too healthy and
the long RAM test is quite extensive...

Another reason that every game repair shop needs a 9010 and assorted pods...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com