[Techtoolslist] Willem EPROM programmer...

Bill Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Mon Jun 8 11:29:21 EDT 2009

I'm new to the list. I collect and repair/restore
8-bit microcomputers from the 1970's. I'm considering
picking up one of the Willem EPROM programmers that
seem to always be available on ebay for pretty cheap.
I've gone through the list archives and see that there
was a discussion on this subject several years ago but
it didn't really come to any firm conclusion. My main
use for this tool would be to program 2716s and 2732s.
One of the tables in one of the ebay pages suggests
that the device can test 6116 static RAMs which would
also be useful. I have two concerns:

1) All of the ebay pages emphasize all of the new chips
that these gizmos support. Has the "legacy" chip
support been lost?

2) Whenever old programmers in good shape come up for
auction, they go for a lot more than the "buy-it-now"
on these Willems. Why?

Thanks,
Bill Sudbrink