[Techtoolslist] RASTER: FW: Using 8080 pod on Midway 8080 boards (Space Invaders)

Andrew Welburn andy at andysarcade.net
Mon Mar 4 08:01:18 EST 2013

Just to round this discussion off.. i have this adapter (unused) :

http://www.andysarcade.net/pix/9000A-8085uutadapt.JPG

to quote:
"Improves clock signal quality between UUT and the pod by reducing the
effects of capacitive loading"

Proof that there are instances where a pod wont work quite right
in-circuit. It is rare, but some circuit designs are on the edge and the
pod can tip the balance.

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com

On 19/02/2013 04:12, John Robertson wrote:

> David Shoemaker wrote:

>> The pod has a -1 CPU in it which should be good to 3 mhz the board is a

>> straight 8080a which should be 2mhz. But I tried it with the CPU from

>> the

>> board just for completeness. No improvement. And the pod cpu works

>> fine in

>> game.

>> I have one board that will at least start up partially with the pod,

>> but two

>> others that just error on Run UUT.

>> It is really inconsistent. I think the way the memory system works the

>> fluke

>> ram test will never work (strange timing and sync to get the game board

>> rotation stuff to coordinate access to ram).

>> I have two of these pods, both use the flat ribbon. I tried subbing a

>> twisted ribbon from an 8085 pod but the pod fails self test (I suspect

>> the

>> ground lead is mucking with something).

> I was testing an 8080 board only last year, but didn't get it booting,

> so it is sitting waiting for me to take another go. I can't recall doing

> the "Run" on any of the 8080 boards recently so haven't any better ideas

> at the moment...

> Perhaps someone else here has a suggestion?

> John :-#)#

>>> David