[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9100 disk archival

Ian Eure ieure at icloud.com
Sun Apr 23 00:14:40 EDT 2017

Hi folks. I’m attempting to archive every factory-produced Fluke 9100 floppy disk. The available images are very disorganized, exist in multiple formats, aren’t complete, etc etc. Even the “Verified OK” 6.1 images do not appear to be entirely correct.

To accomplish this, I’ve acquired a Kryoflux USB floppy controller. It's similar to an industrial disk duplicator, designed for preservation and forensics, and reads/writes disks at a lower level than is possible with a computer disk controller. The nature of this level of preservation requires original factory media to create the images. Exact duplicates can then be written with Kryoflux hardware, and less exotic disk formats (which the 9100’s OS-9 disks are) can be written using SAMDisk on a normal PC, or converted to TeleDisk/ImageDisk formats.

I spent some time today archiving and cataloging every 9100 disk I own. They're organized with a consistent name, metadata, notes, disk contents, and photographs.  I haven’t uploaded to the TTL FTP, since I expect this to be an ongoing project, and I can’t update TTL when there are changes. Everything is available on GitHub: https://github.com/ieure/fluke-9100-disk-archive

That repo contains images for:

System Disk 1 V4.1B, Site code 001
System Disk 2 V4.1B, Site code 001
Master User Disk 1 V4.0
Master User Disk 2 V4.0 (damaged disk, incomplete dump)
UUT Test Disk V1.0
System Disk 1 V4.2A, Site code 001
System Disk 2 V4.2A, Site code 001
Master User Disk 1 V4.1
Master User Disk 2 V4.1
68000 Pod User Disk V1.0
9132A Master User Disk 68020 V1.0
9132A Master User Disk 68030 V1.1
9132A Master User Disk 80386 V1.1

There are many, many more disks which should be saved. If you’re willing to help by loaning or selling disks, please reach out to me off-list.

Disks which I’d particularly like to see archived:

 - Pre-4.x system software.
 - 6.1 system software.
 - TL/1 Language Checker disks for IBM PC & 9100.

 — Ian