[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9100 Service Kit 818948?

Ian Eure ian at retrospec.tv
Fri Aug 10 23:51:03 EDT 2018

teeray writes:

> Kryoflux stream format is not the standard.  How would people without a Kryoflux board
> write the disk image ?

Recent SamDisk can convert Kryoflux Stream images to its own format,
or ImageDisk, and you can write those.  There’s an example in the
README in the archive.

> All you need is a raw dump of the disk.
>
> Then everyone can write the image to a disk.

There is no "standard" format, which is one of the reasons why the
9100 disk image situation is such mess.  This one is in TeleDisk
format and disk 3 seems to be bad, someone said this is good, but it’s
SAMDisk, and you need Windows to write that instead of DOS and blah
blah blah.  I wanted images which were absolutely known to be good or
bad, and clearly documented as such.

Kryoflux is what I chose, because it’s designed for archival, and has
supporting features which other methods don’t.  It shows you if the
media has been modified by someone after it was pressed, so you know
if you’re actually getting the original disk or one keyed to a
specific machine’s serial number.  It doesn’t fail on bad sectors, it
dumps them and you can see exactly which were bad.  If you have
multiple damaged copies of the same disk, you can piece together a
complete, good image, sector by sector.

The goals of my archive are to be as complete and consistent as
possible.  That means all images are the same format, and that format
is Kryoflux Stream.  And since it’s sampling the flux instead of
passing it through MFM decoding to create a bitstream, it’s the rawest
dump you can get. :)

  -- Ian