[Town Meeting] DOCUMENT: Article 25 Amendment

Chris Loreti cloreti at verizon.net
Tue May 1 22:55:01 EDT 2007

Fellow Town Meeting Members:

I apologize for any confusion my amendment to Article 25 may have caused
Monday night. To clarify the changes I am proposing (and to avoid any
further scolding by the Moderator) I have reduced the amendment to writing
with the assistance of Mr. Maher. It appears below and in the attached Word
document. I will leave copies of this on the back table, but to save paper
(and to save myself the work) I do not plan to place a copy on each seat,
but will distribute copies to the folks who sit up front.

When you read this amendment, you may note that it still refers to "function
rooms." While I had moved on Monday evening to eliminate "function rooms"
from the vote, after further consideration, I believe that the single
attached amendment is sufficient to achieve my aims.

Thank you for considering this amendment.

Chris Loreti
TMM, Precinct 7

2007 ARLINGTON TOWN MEETING

ARTICLE 25 AMENDMENT

I, Christopher Loreti, make the following Amendment:

VOTED: That the vote of the Board of Selectmen be and hereby is amended by
placing the following words before the question mark in the ballot question
as printed on page 20 of the Selectmen's Report:

"provided, however, that no restaurant or function room having a seating
capacity of less than 99 shall be permitted to serve alcohol at a bar."

and further that the sentence beginning at the bottom of page 20 shall have
the following added thereto after deleting the period:

"provided that no restaurant or function room having a seating capacity of
less than 99 shall be permitted to serve alcohol at a bar."

Signed: ____________________

Christopher Loreti

Town Meeting Member, Precinct 7

May 2, 2007

Supporting Statement

I am proposing this amendment for the following reasons:

* I believe that at too many establishments in town, alcohol, rather
than food, is becoming the main attraction.

* If people would like to have bars in town, proposals to that effect
should be brought forward and debated openly and not under the guise as of
an article extending full liquor licenses to smaller restaurants.

* The current requirement that a "meal" be served with a drink at a
bar is hardly a requirement at all. If you and a friend wish to drink
without eating a meal at one of the existing restaurant bars in Arlington,
you need do no more than order a single shared appetizer or dessert when
ordering your first round of drinks.

* The proponents of this article have not asked to have a bar in their
restaurant. They have merely asked that smaller restaurants be eligible for
full liquor licenses, and that is all Town Meeting should grant them.

*

The Selectmen have also voiced their concern about restaurants
serving more like bars. The simplest way to prevent this is would be to
support this amendment before passing Article 25.