[Town Meeting] OPEB Articles

Allan and Barbara Tosti abtosti at rcn.com
Wed May 21 07:51:34 EDT 2008

Dear Town Meeting Members:

Attached is the amendment that will be proposed to the Town Meeting on
Wednesday night to clear up the confusion on the OPEB articles.

The problem is not with the FinCom recommendation on Article 44, but with
the insurance budget. The State statute was not well written and requires
that all benefits for retirees go through this new account created by this
article. The Town Counsel agrees that there is nothing illegal in the
FinCom proposal, but that we have to require that the benefit premiums for
retirees be paid through this new account. That is what the amended budget
does and the language has been agreed to by Town Counsel, the Town Manager,
Comptroller and Treasurer.

The procedure that I will recommend to you on Wednesday night is to finish
the budgets first, including this amendment to the Insurance budget. If we
can finish the budgets reasonably quickly, reconsideration of Article 44
will be moved and voted and then we will move to Minuteman. If the budgets take too long, we
can move right to Minuteman and then OPEB. If we can finish the budgets,
Minuteman and the OPEB articles on Wednesday, it will be a good night.

I want to thank the many officials for working hard to find a solution,

Al Tosti
Chair
Finance Committee