[casual_games] Game Authoring Language

Adeo Ressi adeo at gametrust.com
Mon Aug 8 13:04:24 EDT 2005

At Game Trust, we have been evaluating various casual game development
technologies, including ActiveX, Director, and Java. It is our opinion that
Java may be the best way to go, especially considering the cross-platform
capabilities. Java also has a massive install base, great client/server
capabilities, fast performance, and ways to optimize load times for online
play.

The downside to Java is a lack of strong development libraries for games,
though Sun is actively working on this. Java has some problems with sound
handling in the most recent JVM versions, which can be addressed in your
code. Ultimately, different games suit themselves to different languages,
which is why we try to support them all.

Game Trust has a number of 2D and 3D Java development libraries that we have
used internally for casual games. We have been thinking to make these
libraries Open Source in conjunction with Sun. It would take us a couple
months to polish them up.

I am wondering what people think about Java, and if anyone thinks that
having a strong set of Open Source Java development libraries would help
them?

            Adeo / Game Trust