[casual_games] ActiveX Install Success rates?

Matthew Wegner mwegner at flashbangstudios.com
Mon Aug 8 15:04:58 EDT 2005

Hi Brian,

Here are some rough statistics regarding the installation success rate for
the web version of Glow Worm.  While we don't track things on a per-session
basis, I pulled some data out of the web access logs.

To generate these numbers, I compared the number of unique IPs that
requested the web game's HTML versus the number of unique IPs that requested
the game data file.  We use the Virtools Web Player, which will request a
VMO file after its successful installation.  Any IP that requested the HTML
file--but never requested the VMO file--is essentially a failed install.

Some Context:

- These statistics represent a distributor's version of the game

- This distributor has clout with their users (security paranoia less of an
issue)

- There is no ActiveX handholding in place (images or text)

- The Virtools Web Player has minimal market penetration (it's safe to
assume the majority of the users *don't* have it installed already)

The Numbers:

270,909 unique IPs requested HTML
141,889 unique IPs requested VMO

= 52.38% install success rate

Anyone who handholds their users through the ActiveX install process have
numbers they can share?

Best Regards,
Matthew Wegner
Development Director, Flashbang Studios