[casual_games] Technology Follow-up

Duncan Gough duncan at 3rdsense.com
Wed Aug 10 17:25:52 EDT 2005

Those stats are very intriguing, especially regarding Java usage.
There's obviously no clear winner but I get the impression that Java
is preferable to Flash.

I'm fairly new to all this and although I understand the security
problems Flash has, can that be negated by the massive install base?
Sadly it doesn't seem like the security problems are going to be
fixed in Flash 8 (http://bob.pythonmac.org/archives/2005/08/07/
flash-8s-backwards-security-model/) but having seen some of the
recent player demonstrations, games are going to look good all over
again.

With regards to Brent's games, I've never really had a problem
running them in Safari or Firefox. They are noticeably slower but
it's rare that they don't work or are simply unplayable. I'd love to
see how AJAX would perform for certain game elements too.

Has anyone tried Pygame? I wrote a couple of games with it last year
which was great fun. The SDL bindings worked well but getting the
game into an .exe was less so.