[casual_games] Making a Case for Flash

Duncan Gough duncan at 3rdsense.com
Thu Aug 18 15:14:20 EDT 2005

I think that Flash does have a place in the casual games market for
all of the reasons you've noted - cross platform, large user base,
ability to handle most game concepts - and I think that's it's
especially attractive to small businesses and start ups because of
the trust factor.

Having said that, I've had a long standing dislike of Flash because I
thought that Actionscript looked like a mess and I'd seen one too
many website that abused it for over-the-top navigation and swf-text.
Actionscript 2, however, is a much improved language and really seems
to feel like a scripting language should. Blaming Flash for bad
website design is wrong, of course, so it's fair to say that over the
last couple of years I've begun to appreciate Flash as a decent game
development option. It's just like other scripting languages in that
it gives you all the tools to write horrible code, so finding good
developers is the key to making it work for you.

But then you all knew that anyway.