[casual_games] Startup

John Welch john at playfirst.com
Wed Dec 7 21:56:46 EST 2005

Luke,

Historically, most developers in this space have bootstrapped by working
day jobs or doing work-for-hire consulting-type gigs to get rolling
until they could build up enough royalty-bearing products in the market
to fund operations. At PlayFirst we raised a big pile of venture
capital. This funds our relatively modest studio (2 teams) plus allows
us to be a full-service publisher that provides funding for many outside
development shops, as well as a host of other things you would expect
from a full-service publisher such as marketing, sales, technology,
creative input, and the ability to move properties to various platforms
and channels. Two cases come to mind where a small group of very
talented people used our funding to leave full-time day jobs and start
their own company.

Best of luck with your venture,

-John W.

John Welch, President & CEO