[casual_games] Price as Signal

Joe Pantuso jpantuso at traygames.com
Wed Dec 14 12:19:49 EST 2005

I have to disagree with the premise here.  Games are not a commodity any
more than books or movies or music are.  They aren't generically
interchangeable the way a true commodity (memory chips, potato chips, poker
chips) are, they have some uniqueness about them.  They have content.

For this reason the article linked about pricing in movies and music
holds some truths for games as well.

A metric I don't 100% subscribe to, but that I know many users do use
mentally because I've heard it espoused, is the "Cost per hour".  Sometimes
this is measured in movies.  If it costs $10 to see a 2 hour film, and I'm
going to get 5 hours of game play out of this game, than $25 is a reasonable
price.

The reason I don't totally buy into that premise is it doesn't apply to
casual games the way it does to more hardcore games.  A casual game may only
have 10-30 minutes of 'gameplay' in it, but will be played for dozens of
hours by many users.

In the casual space many of us try to price at an 'impulse buy' level.  What
that level is varies from place to place though.