[casual_games] Price as Signal

Robert Gordon rob at article19.com
Wed Dec 14 12:53:01 EST 2005

BUT - If a game will be played for dozens of hours, doesn¹t that mean that
it really has dozens of hours of Œgameplay¹, and not 10-30 minutes? Would
you say that backgammon has 5 minutes of gameplay (estimated), because
that¹s the average length of a single game? Personally, I believe this is
the secret sauce of many (but certainly not all) casual games ­ monster
amounts of replay value. Most movies I see once. Some two or three times.
The best ones, maybe as many as twenty times. I¹ve literally played
thousands (if not 10s of thousands) of games of backgammon (for example).
Dunno to what extent that makes me a Œhardcore-casual-gamer¹...

As far as pricing goes, I still believe we¹re operating in the (increasingly
distant) wake of the Œeverything-digital-must-be-free¹ vibe of the late 90s,
early 00s. Some people will never pay anything for a casual game, Œcause
they simply don¹t Œfeel¹ that they should (same folks who felt paying
$30/month to an isp should grant them access to every last piece of content
on the Internet). I think many of these gamers will come around eventually.
They¹ll move a little, we¹ll move a little.

PS. This was my first post to this list. Howdy y¹all!

r o b