[casual_games] Price as Signal

Lionel barret De Nazaris lionel.bdn at free.fr
Wed Dec 14 13:21:42 EST 2005

You overgeneralize. Some game are a commodity, some are not.
That why license are worth so much money. They represent the fact that
the game, movie, book has escaped from the commodity world.
Games have content, some unique feel that's true, but until your
customer feel that way, your uniqueness is not very useful.
Until you have a game that is considered as unique *by your customer*,
your game *is* a commodity.
Before this point, your customers are buying your game as they would
have bought an other game.
That why marketing, branding, and customer relationship is so important.

Being unique is quite hard, Being good is not enough, you need to be
very good and very special.
(Of course, being too special means you're risking being arcane...)

And in the end, people have only a limited amount of money and time. So
they have to choose even between Unique items (book, games, etc).
Being cheaper (or perceived so) is factor of choice, an easy one.

--
Lionel Barret De Nazaris
Gamr7.com > http://www.gamr7.com