[casual_games] Price as Signal

Joe Pantuso jpantuso at traygames.com
Wed Dec 14 13:29:14 EST 2005

Ah don't get me wrong.  I definitely agree that games can have the
appearance of commodity.  Especially when there are dozens of games in each
genre (defining 'genre' as "hit game and it's imitators").

However I don't think that prospective customers are going to say to
themselves, "Gee, I think I'll buy a word puzzle game this week.  Let's see
which one has the best price."  Price is only a small part of the overall
decision to purchase a game.

My opinion is price isn't a factor in the decision as to WHICH game to buy.
It is a factor in WHETHER they they buy or just satisfy themselves with the
demo.  In this way price may be a factor in which one they choose, but it is
unlikely to be the largest factor.

So in the decision of how they will use their limited time to entertain
themselves, content is more important than price.  As you say, licenses can
be an easy way to set yourself apart.

Pricing is a complicated subject.