[casual_games] Welcome and Introductions

Barry Joseph bjlist at globalkids.org
Wed Jul 13 12:06:39 EDT 2005

I am excited to see the development of this sig.

I thought I would take the opportunity to explain what I am doing
here, considering I am an educator who works with NYC youth to
develop their leadership abilities around global issues through
various Internet projects.

Long story short - for three years we have explored what it means for
youth to move from game consumers to producers. We have worked both
on the level of casual games and at size of MMOGs, always
incorporating social issues. We work closely with gameLab here in
NYC. We developed a very rough prototype for a casual game about
airport profiling post-911, but never secured the foundational
support required to complete it.

However, the program that produced it, Playing 4 Keeps
<http://www.globalkids.org/olp> just received funding from the
Microsoft Corporation to significantly expand the program over the
next few years. In part, this will entail the development of one
professional casual game a year ,incorporating social content, with
the Global Kids youth leaders. We just learned of this a few weeks
ago and are tremendously excited about moving this forward.

I look forward to learning from all of you, as I know so little.

Barry
--

Barry Joseph

Sign-up for the Global Kids' Newsletter: Send an email to:
GlobalKidsUpdate-subscribe at yahoogroups.com