[casual_games] Definition of Casual Games

BRENT SILBY (def-logic) brent at def-logic.com
Wed Jul 13 16:41:24 EDT 2005

Greetings,
I've just signed up to this group. I'm very happy to finally see a forum devoted to casual games.

Charles P said "Both GTA and CS have high hand-eye coordination requirements, which I
think excludes them from the Casual realm in my opinion."

I disagree. Many casual games involve hand-eye coordination. All of my arcade style webgames do (see www.def-logic.com). I think that arcade games have to be included in the casual game category because of their "quick pickup and play" factor. Arcade games do not require the player to devote their lives to the game so they are casual. But they do have a critical hand-eye co-ordination component.

Cheers,
Brent Silby.

DEF-LOGIC
VIDEOGAMES