[casual_games] The Making of Casual Games

Anando Banerjee anando at lakshyadigital.com
Thu Jul 14 04:07:34 EDT 2005

Hi Dora,

An obvious difference is, of course, the "scope-of-work" - the amount of
work (be it game design, graphics creation or coding) that needs to be done
(vis-a-vis games likes CS and WoW). This translates to, or maybe is a
product of, much smaller development budgets. Smaller development cycles and
development teams.

Unlike in a "hardcore" (for lack of a better word!) game like CS or Halo,
where the target audience is well defined, for a casual game, the design has
to have broad-based appeal because the audience profile is nebulous. I feel
that this makes designing casual games a much more complex task.

Also, in my opinion, casual game developers put a lot more emphasis on
working "smart" - looking to reuse assets, wherever possible, from previous
games.

My two bits. :-)

Anando Banerjee
Lakshya Digital