[casual_games] The Definition of Casual Games

Jeff Murray jmurray at fuelindustries.com
Thu Jul 14 06:22:32 EDT 2005

Ello!

I'm really not sure you can nail down a genre or type of game as 'casual'. I play a lot of big titles as though they were casual games, in fact thats the way I play all games. I switch on, race around a bit, then turn off and forget it. I don't want to have to learn anything, I just want the burst of energy/excitement/whatever which makes me a casual gamer. I played Half Life 2 all the way through, but didn't think about it... it was just a week or so of casual game bursts then the game ended! The only difference between the way I played that and the way I play a webgame is the play length ... although thats not concrete either. I've played word games online for hours at a time ... my wife once even left the computer switched on overnight so she could continue the next day! I really don't think time is an issue at all when defining a casual game.

Yes, you're trying to apply to a broad audience but thats about the business model and nothing to do with the game. You're not telling me that Bejeweled isn't designed to be played and replayed for as long as possible??

So, if we're talking about advergames ... maybe they're all casual purely in the depth of gameplay and replayability they provide? As for anything else, I really don't think anyone will nail a requirement/definition other than the budget OR the depth of play. If you base it on depth of play, the casual gamer like me will see Half Life 2, Quake3, Doom3 or even Battlefield 1942 as a casual game.

Does anyone think I'm way off with this? I feel like I'm missing something here!

Jeff.

http://www.fuelindustries.com