[casual_games] The Making of Casual Games

Wade Tinney wade at largeanimal.com
Fri Jul 22 14:45:36 EDT 2005

Hi Dora-

There are a lot of questions wrapped up in this one, but I'll bite off a
little piece of it to start the discussion going.

One fundamental difference in making a casual, downloadable game (such
as those my company produces) is that players can try the game before
they decide whether or not to purchase it. So, unlike the typical retail
experience, players are not financially invested in the game when they
are playing it. They haven't shelled out their hard-earned cash. I
believe that that financial investment (in a retail game) makes players
give that game more of a chance; they *want* to like the thing they just
paid money for. They don't want to be disappointed or to have to go
through the rigamarole of returning the game. They'll slog their way up
a steep learning curve, or attempt a badly tuned early level dozens of
times, or put up with a frustrating control scheme for MUCH longer than
someone with no financial investment.

Players of casual, downloadable games have little to no investment of
the sort. If a game is frustrating in any way, they will simply close it
and download one of the other hundreds of free game demos that are just
a click away.

As a result, I think that polishing, tuning, and managing the player
learning curve are much more critical in this type of game. My sense is
that these things take up a much longer relative portion of the
development cycle than they do a larger console or PC title. I'd
thumbnail it at about 30% of the total production time for most
successful titles.

Anyway, that's just one difference that springs to mind. I'm interested
to hear what others think.

For more discussion about production issues involved in making casual,
downloadable games, I'd encourage you to check out the Casual Games
Quarterly, which has interviews with folks from some of the leading
developers in this space.

http://www.igda.org/casual

Wade