[casual_games] The Definition of Casual Games

Coray Seifert coray at largeanimal.com
Thu Jul 14 10:21:06 EDT 2005

A point this conversation might illustrate is that casual games exist upon a continuum. For example, a hardcore Ultima fan might consider a game like World of Warcraft to be a "casual" MMO game, by virtue of the fact that it is easier to learn and features an aesthetic that appeals to a broader audience than many other MMOs. That said, your standard Bejeweled player would certainly not consider WoW a casual game.

Then again, "casual games" like Insaniquarium and Diner Dash are in essence streamlined RTS games, without the heavy resource management.

Perhaps we should start calling games like Bejeweled "Hardcore Casual Games," as they are in fact the most "casual" games on the market? ;)

Cheers,

Coray Seifert
Associate Producer
Large Animal Games