[casual_games] The Definition of Casual Games

Thing 2 thing2 at mchsi.com
Thu Jul 14 13:28:52 EDT 2005

So many good points being made here but, I'm in the same boat as Jeff, I'm
starting to feel like I misunderstood what a casual game is....

There are so many factors to consider, we should come up with some kind of
grid or row echelon style system to add up the yay's and nay's

I am a hardcore gamer myself, I don't want to speak for everyone here but, I
think it's safe to assume that I am not the only hardcore gamer reading
this.  Having said that I can say this; because we can play Doom 3 or HL2 in
five minute spurts if we choose to does not make them casual games.  We have
to be careful not to confuse games like these that can be played casually by
the hardcore gamer (who happens to have a $400 video card) and games that
are casual by design.

I disagree and maybe I'm wrong but I don't think having a low-to-medium
budget has a thing to do with making a casual game.  Who's to say that you
can't have a casual game that's designed and created by a full dev team with
a full budget and rendered in 3D?

And I still think that the time required for any given game session is one
of the factors that adds up to a casual game.  That cuts out games with
large, time-consuming quests that have you running around a huge world
looking for Bad Guy X who's holding the Rune of Repulsion that you need to
bring back to Good Girl Z three towns over so she can complete her Ritual of
Whatever that allows you to blah blah blah etc etc.

On the flip side of that coin, exactly like Jeff said, isn't Bejeweled meant
to suck away as many hours as possible?  How many early games just got
harder and harder as you progressed until you just couldn't make it any
further, I mean, did Pac-Man even have an end?

I think this means the total length of the game has nothing to do with
whether or not a game is casual by design, it's the length of the gameplay
sessions that matters and how easily you can hop in and out of it.  Again,
like Pac-Man, couldn't a casual game theoretically go on indefinitely?  Just
because they can go on forever doesn't rule out regular interval rewards.

>From my perspective, I think an MMO is begging to made as a casual game.
They can be social can't they?  Someone mentioned word games, I played
Acrophobia obsessively for like 2 weeks several years ago, it was social, it
was casual and I laughed hard enough to get more than a couple weird looks
in the computer lab....

Anyway, thanks for listening, I'm diggin' the banter here,

Jay Ellsworth