[casual_games] The Making of Casual Games

Jeff Murray jmurray at fuelindustries.com
Fri Jul 22 17:06:18 EDT 2005

I think I'd agree with this. Getting the flow right (especially of the demo version) is 10,0000 times more important for the casual game. I feel that, if you're not EA and you haven't put a large scale TV advertising campaign featuring the biggest and best 3d things blowing up ... you're not going to be trusted by the average joe. The 'culture' of casual gaming (and the freedom it presents for the consumer in terms of smaller downloads to try things out without shelling out the cash) means that the casual games producer will have to try harder to impress or physically 'sell' the product itself to the buyer. Big studios don't particularly sell the actual game, since the marketing/advertising/movie/book will return the large chunk of sales when it's done right.

Internet 'people' want things for free. They want to be able to play the game and get into it, then when they're hooked it has become the norm to ask for the cash (dammit I was just about to capture Quarg/score 10,000 points/blow up captain bubble head so I better cough up). From a consumer point of view, this model makes total sense, too. I don't want to pay for anything I haven't played, since I might not like it. Since those nice people who made GTA didn't make it, I don't trust them either... I will even buy games from studios called 'ValuSoft' (sounds like cheap-ass inc. to me) because when I try the game, it's actually pretty cool.

I just wonder how many people are actually taking the sales opportunity by making the demos easier than the 'real thing' and making the game more appealing to 'simple folk' ?? I'm sure I've experienced it before, although it's hard to tell!

Parrot.