[casual_games] An interesting set of definitions

Sheri Pocilujko sheri.pocilujko at high-voltage.com
Mon Jul 25 16:04:59 EDT 2005

>From the women's dev list:

Over at Online Alchemy, we use what we call the "4Cs" of playstyle
types: Core, Committed, Commando, and Casual. Core and Committed players
tend to enjoy long, frequent play sessions, while Commando and Casual
players either do not enjoy or do not have time for long and/or frequent
play sessions. Core and Commando players prefer to interact with the
game world in direct, aggressive ways (such as combat), while Committed
and Casual players prefer indirect interaction, such as socializing,
crafting, and story-driven play. So to put that all together, we have:

Core: long play sessions, direct interaction
Committed: long play sessions, indirect interaction
Commando: short play sessions, direct interaction
Casual: short play sessions, indirect interaction

Thoughts?

Sheri Pocilujko
Corporate Communications Director
High Voltage Software
2345 Pembroke Avenue, Hoffman Estates, IL 60195
Email: sheri.pocilujko at high-voltage.com Web: http://www.high-voltage.com