[casual_games] The Making of Casual Games

Duncan Gough duncan at 3rdsense.com
Fri Jul 22 17:32:32 EDT 2005

In terms of making casual, browser-based games, this is an excellent
overview:

http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/gdc/flash-paper.htm

One of the problems I've encountered is making the trial version of a
game 'good enough', whilst keeping back enough features for the
retail version to be worth the money. Besides scoreboards and other
game modes, it can often feel like the benefit of paying for the game
is negligible. As Brent and machaira have pointed out, the browser
game or the trial version have to be addictive enough to hook people
on almost the first play. Which in turn means that the game can
suffer from the perception that it is too simple, that all of the
surprised have been discovered.