[casual_games] The Making of Casual Games

BRENT SILBY (def-logic) brent at def-logic.com
Fri Jul 22 17:54:30 EDT 2005

Its true that casual arcade games give the impression of being simple and that all surprises have been discovered within the first few minutes. However, I'm not sure that this is a disadvantage. Consider a game like Collapse. All the surprises in that are gone pretty quickly, but people keep coming back. It is because of the purity of its gameplay. It is addictive, and many people have purchased the full version.

Having said that, I think its possible to hold back surprises for later stages in a casual game--even if they are simple surprises. In the game I've just put together, the gameplay is very simple and people may not think there are any surprises. Yet on stage 5 there is a surprise--Giant Bugs, which people wouldn't expect. Its a simple surprise, but a surprise nontheless :)

Brent.
DEF-LOGIC
VIDEOGAMES
www.def-logic.com