[casual_games] Production and project management Tools/Process

Joe Pantuso jpantuso at traygames.com
Tue Nov 1 13:29:20 EST 2005

WRT to source control and artist-friendly, we've been using SVN for about a
year now and it is great.  It is a huge improvement over CVS and the old
VSS.  Using Tortoise (a shell extension) is very user-friendly way to access
source control.  They can just right-click files right in explorer to commit
changes.

Perforce is an interesting solution, but I can't really recommend it unless
you have dedicated IT people and money to burn.  It has advantages for
geographically distributed teams in that you can work in a sort of 'cascade'
with local servers that synchronize with others.  The hardware, software and
time costs are high though.  Assuming all your team members have some sort
of broadband you will probably be fine with SVN.

I also highly recommend pairing SVN with a build system such at CCNet paired
with nAnt.  At a bare minimum you can use it to automate backups triggered
by check-ins, and email notifications to team members of new/updated files.
The best thing to be doing with it though is to automate your builds.  Build
automation is a spectacular tool for productivity and quality.