[casual_games] The 10 meg file limit

Tom Park casual_games.igda.org at acroband.com
Fri Nov 18 13:44:39 EST 2005

What everyone has been saying makes plenty of sense, but I was just curious:

How much engineering analysis/effort is put into the optimizing the download size?

For a small indie team of one or a few people, maybe it's just impossible to justify spending much time to doing an analysis. Perhaps the only effort that can be spent is ensuring that there's no unused files included in the deliverable, and the rest is left to the installer's compression.

However, I'm wondering who can answer relevant questions about their titles like:
1) What is the overhead of the installer?
2) What is the size of the executable versus the size of the assets?
3) If you use a custom scripting engine, what is the overhead of the runtime module and how much space is saved by the scripts?
4) What is the ratio of the number of asset files to the total size of the assets?
5) What is size distribution of the runtime assets?

In my industry (mobile), there are hard limits to the download size (e.g. 64K, 100K, 128K, etc), so you can imagine we are forced to put a lot of engineering effort into the download size. We have a fairly sophisticated build system and asset pipeline that must target 100's of devices and their relative limits.

Tom