[casual_games] The 10 meg file limit

Lennard Feddersen lennard at RustyAxe.com
Fri Nov 18 11:59:11 EST 2005

I've got a simple to use tool chain - probably far less sophisticated
than Tom's - that uses zlib to build a single binary containing all of
my data.  It's not a big engineering effort and it makes data analysis,
making a demo or preview release easier and once you have your data all
in one place you find other things you can do.  I've used similar
systems when I was working in mainstream gaming and the one thing big
timer saver that I would recommend to anyone building such a scheme
would be to make sure that your file system can also check for the
existence of a file outside of the large data file so that, during dev.,
you can just drop new files into your root directory and go rather than
waiting for a new data binary build.

My 2 cents,

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7