[casual_games] Puzzle Book

Elonka at aol.com Elonka at aol.com
Wed Nov 23 14:06:43 EST 2005

Hi all.  :)

My name is Elonka Dunin, and I'm one of the senior members on the IGDA Online
Games SIG Committee.

I have a side hobby of cryptography, and was recently contacted by a British
book publisher, who wants me to put together a book of codes and ciphers for
release in the U.S. and U.K.  This is not so much a book *about* codes, as a
book *full* of codes to solve, ranging from easy to hard.  It will also have a
few pages on "solving tips", and of course a description of some of the famous
Unsolved Codes in the world, such as the text on the Kryptos sculpture.

Unsolved codes aside though, I'd especially like the book to have several
hundred very simple ciphers to solve.  Like Presidential (and Prime Minister!)
quotes that have been encrypted using a simple substitution cipher.

While chatting with someone on the Casual Games SIG committee, it was brought
up that I might want to send out an open invitation to the Casual Games
community, to see if anyone would be interested in helping with the project. I
could use assistance in everything from coming up with the plaintext quotes and
passages to encrypt, to encrypting those quotes, and of course testing things to
make sure that everything's done correctly! Since so many of you already
create and enjoy puzzles, we thought you might enjoy contributing to this project,
even though it's not computer-related!

Credit would of course be given in the book to everyone that helps, so it'd
also be a fun way to see your name in print!

The timeline on this is fairly short, as I'm going to be submitting the
finished manuscript next month.  If anyone from the Casual Games community is
interested in helping though, either creating ciphers or helping to test them,
please contact me, at elonka at aol.com.

Thanks!

Elonka  :)