[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Joe Pantuso jpantuso at traygames.com
Thu Oct 6 12:16:01 EDT 2005

The framework is not part of any service pack.  This is unfortunate since
that was part of the .NET strategy we were told back in 2000 or 2001, that
all supporting platforms would receive .NET as a service pack update.  That
would have simplified things a bit.

The good news is that a) 25megs may seem like a lot, but on broadband it is
only a couple minute download, b) it only has to happen once and c) MS is
finally providing tools to make getting .NET onto a user system as part of
your install simple.  With Visual Studio 2005 they have improved the
bootstrapper that is provided for 'click once' applications so you can add
some packages and be done with it.

The framework, the languages and the dev environment really are great.  I
could go on about that at length but there are thousands of articles out
there already.  Don't take my word for it, try out one of the 'express'
products.  http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/default.aspx

I'm excited about 2.0 and the express editions because it means that people
can work on their games in a great environment at no cost.

Since TrayGames is a platform for game distribution we have been going to
considerable trouble to make getting that on a smooth process.  A little
self-plug here, if you are looking to write games in .NET and are interested
in multi-player stuff you should really talk to us, since your defined
market is then people who already have .NET and Managed DirectX installed as
it is part of our base guaranteed platform.  Plus our API makes the
multi-player part a snap.

-J

  _____