[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Chris Williams chrisgwilliams at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 11:52:47 EDT 2005

To the best of my knowledge, the .NET Framework is not part of XP Service
Pack 2.

You can either DL it from Windows Update, or DL the runtime from MSDN. If
you use an installer (such as Installshield) to deploy any of your games,
you can bundle the runtime in that way (but yes that still does make for a
large download.)

As for the % of XP machines running SP2, I think it's around 35% (since its
related to, but slightly lower than, the % of folks who actually run Windows
Update in the first place.)

Chris Williams, MCSD .NET, MCT

On 10/6/05, Lionel barret De Nazaris <lionel.bdn at free.fr> wrote:

> Jonas Beckeman wrote:
> > Seems I'm the only one who's gonna stand up for .NET here, so I'd better
> do
> > it tall...
> >
> > Before I get off on how great it is, let me state some problems that may
> be
> > enough to make you look in other directions:
> > * .NET games need the .NET framework. The 2.0 beta is 25 MB.
> > * You'll probably want to use Managed DirectX. The distribution model is
> > still very unclear to me, I don't know myself how large the add-on is,
> or
> > even how to obtain it without downloading the DirectX SDK
> A friend told me that the .Net Framework is included in the XP Service
> Pack 2, if so, the problem of the huge download could be avoided.
> Does anybody could confirm this ? And do we have numbers about the % of
> penetration of XP Service Pack 2 on the machine of the potential players
> ? Well, a percentage of machine with XP Service Pack 2 on the global
> number of windows anyway.
>
> Lionel

Thank you,

Chris Williams, Microsoft Partner,