[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Lionel barret De Nazaris lionel.bdn at free.fr
Thu Oct 6 14:12:36 EDT 2005

Phil Steinmeyer wrote:
> Right now, requiring a 25MB .NET framework download would be
> commercial suicide in the 'traditional' casual games distribution
> channels (RealArcade, Yahoo, MSN, Pogo etc).
>
> Perhaps that will change at some point in the future, but I think that
> point is AT LEAST two years away.
>
> Of course, for retail (on-disk) distribution, and possibly other
> alternative channels (including marketing of niche games, marketing of
> an entire games 'platform', etc), this may not be as much of a problem.
I agree with you when we are talking about strictly casual game. But the
distinction between "casual" and "small" game (breakquest, astral
masters) is not very clear and is more a gradation with price and data
size very correlated...
A portal could use exclusively .Net to get an edge.
Downloading 25MB is not really an issue with "real" broadband. The real
issue is the lack of browser plug-in.
Streaming the framework (download and install along) could make it even
easier.
The thing is : during the install, put a nice game ;) a flash one for
example.

Sadly all this, need a bigger workforce than the average casual/indie
game dev studio.
Lionel.