[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Thu Oct 6 18:13:00 EDT 2005

> (Strange DLL's that float around my machine aren't so wonderful either,
> by the way.)

You may consider them strange, but I think the casual gamer couldn't care
less if there's a new folder in their Windows folder (which they often even
can't see the contents of) that contains .NET dlls.

> It's one thing to imagine how easy it will be to download
> apps and runtime environments, and another to convince spyware-shy
> people to do it.

Also, I don't think most casual gamers think of Microsoft components as
spyware, they're probably one of few sources they trust.

> Flash is everywhere because it's (relatively) small
> and benign.

What do you mean by 'benign'? This seems rather emotional - from your side,
or from the casual gamer's POV?

> XP has been around now for almost 5 years.  And its market penetration,
> especially into the casual game market is, what?

Before we lose ourselves in a pointless discussion based on guesses, can
anyone provide any real figures?
The US might be a lot different from Sweden, but I'm seeing high percentages
of .NET installs on a site whose target group is *probably* fairly standard
users. Haven't had time to do a proper db query, but a quick inspection of
the latest 50 hits says 69% have it. Small sample indeed, I daresay
misleading, but I could perform a better search (some time in the future)
and come up with figures for different countries.

/Jonas