[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Chris Williams chrisgwilliams at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 23:56:19 EDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Jonas Beckeman <list at jobe.nu> wrote:

> > (Strange DLL's that float around my machine aren't so wonderful either,
> > by the way.)
>
> You may consider them strange, but I think the casual gamer couldn't care
> less if there's a new folder in their Windows folder (which they often
> even
> can't see the contents of) that contains .NET dlls.

That's also assuming that the .NET dll's would be installed to the GAC,
which most game dll's wouldn't anyway. One of the great things about .net is
that there is no com registration needed for dlls to work. As long as they
are in the same directory as the parent executable, .net programs run just
fine. Naturally this makes deployment and uninstalls much easier and nearly
painless for the end user. Definitely an improvement from the COM/COM+ days
of DLL hell.

> It's one thing to imagine how easy it will be to download
> > apps and runtime environments, and another to convince spyware-shy
> > people to do it.
>
> Also, I don't think most casual gamers think of Microsoft components as
> spyware, they're probably one of few sources they trust.

agreed. Even with all the anti-MS sentiment floating around out there, most
non computer-savvy people will still download anything MS offers them.

Chris