[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Chris Williams chrisgwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:44:10 EDT 2005

MS is making a pretty big push to promote .NET 2.0 (aka 2005) as suitable
for game development. Was anyone on this list at the Microsoft Meltdown 2005
conference a few months ago? I was, and they (MS) are pretty excited about
the possibilities.

On 10/7/05, Jonas Beckeman <list at jobe.nu> wrote:

> > Not only is their hardware old and slow on average
>
> I think this argument is a lot about us have different definitions of
> "casual gamer". I've subconsciously been thinking about those who may play
> (and buy) casual games, regardless of if they play other games as well -
> whereas you probably think more about those who would never buy a retail
> game, right?
>
> If so, I'd agree *more* with you about their inclination to install .NET.
> Still, my guess is that most of the revenue from a casual game does not
> come
> from casual gamers. And if you start learning .NET now, when you have your
> first game ready to launch, chances are quite a few of them will have the
> runtime installed.
>
> It's a bit of a gamble, since we don't know about MS plans to push the
> technology, but as mentioned they're going to make new efforts at the
> launch
> of 2.0.
>
> The most important thing before was securing the business market, so they
> probably didn't want to associate .NET with fun and games, but now that
> it's
> pretty much secured, they can afford to go in other directions.
>
> /Jonas

Thank you,

Chris Williams, Microsoft Partner,
MCT, MCSD.NET <http://MCSD.NET>, MCAD, MCP, A+,