[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Fri Oct 7 04:28:57 EDT 2005

> Not only is their hardware old and slow on average

I think this argument is a lot about us have different definitions of
"casual gamer". I've subconsciously been thinking about those who may play
(and buy) casual games, regardless of if they play other games as well -
whereas you probably think more about those who would never buy a retail
game, right?

If so, I'd agree *more* with you about their inclination to install .NET.
Still, my guess is that most of the revenue from a casual game does not come
from casual gamers. And if you start learning .NET now, when you have your
first game ready to launch, chances are quite a few of them will have the
runtime installed.

It's a bit of a gamble, since we don't know about MS plans to push the
technology, but as mentioned they're going to make new efforts at the launch
of 2.0.

The most important thing before was securing the business market, so they
probably didn't want to associate .NET with fun and games, but now that it's
pretty much secured, they can afford to go in other directions.

/Jonas