[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Lionel barret De Nazaris lionel.bdn at free.fr
Tue Oct 11 11:46:34 EDT 2005

The low number of keystrokes could be a productivity advantage.
Once you're comfortable with a language, the main limit linked to the
language is the number of keystrokes you need to do your stuff.
This is modified by the quality of the IDE, but a verbose language
always makes you slower. Delphi is a good example of a verbose language.
If I remember correctly, Ada is another. as Eiffel.
A corollary is the bigger the library the better as there is no need to
re-code lists, hashmaps and so on.
Readability (or lack of) is also a productivity factor. See perl, lisp,
etc.Even people comfortable with a language may take more or less time
to understand a bit of code because of the readability of the language
used. This could be modified by good or bad coding practice, but still...

Judged on this (double) criteria, Python is very good (although its IDEs
are not as good MSVC, they cover most of what you need). Friends told me
C# is also good. I feel that  C++ is worse than C#, but it's a
superficial comparison, I don't work enough with them.

About your 5), why using DirectX ? for casual gamse, SDL seems a much
better choice.

So for Python :
0) Language verbosity / readability : very good
1) IDE : fair
2) Debugger : fair/good
3) GUI : good
4) Language Flexibility  : very good