[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Tue Oct 11 16:12:56 EDT 2005

> I'm curious where others find 25-50% productivity
> gains in other languages

He didn't put languages against each other, it's about the .NET Framework.
You can use Python within .NET (but I hear Boo is the way these days if you
like Python).

Coming from Director/Lingo and now using C# 1.1 in VS2003, I'm doing equal
work in 50% or less of the time - that's >100% in productivity. Easily!
Mostly because Director is so bad on all the 5 accounts on your list, I
guess...

I've only spent a little time in VS2005/C#2.0 so far, but my guess is I'll
gain at least another 10-15% from IDE improvements (new IntelliSense and
CodeSnippets) and another few percent from new C#2.0 stuff (e.g. generics).

I think you're missing two important things in your list:

* All "competent language with functions, OO, etc" aren't equal in
productivity. E.g. managed coding vs. unmanaged. Strong typing or not. C++
function pointers vs. C# delegates. Different tools for different tasks,
sure, but I can't see that many areas where C++ would make you more
productive than C#.

* The class library. I don't know anything that comes close to .NET's in
terms of number of areas covered and how well structured it is. Sure, you
can buy or LGPL just about any kind of library for most languages, but
that's very different from having it all in one place, designed by one team,
and used by one large community.

/Jonas