[casual_games] Platform for multi-player Flash games

Rajat Paharia rpaharia+lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:08:18 EDT 2005

> Yep, works now! I'm on a 56k modem ATM, so I didn't explore much of the
> Flash site, but it seems to work fine. I had some concerns about the graphic
> design (mainly fonts and text layout), but the UI felt consistent and
> responsive.

Thanks. I think :) I went for a pixel font because it's crisp and
sharp, unlike most other fonts when rendered in Flash. Although it is
small. The UI will be evolving.

> Not trying to be obnoxious here, but the name Bunchball, is that so great
> for a gaming portal? Sounds more like a game, and a specific genre of game
> at that. 'Course, I could be the only one who thinks so.

No, it's a valid concern. When kids are playing soccer and they all
follow the ball instead of playing their positions, it's called
bunchball. We thought it resonated with the idea of your setting up
your groups of friends and family once and then taking them from game
to game. But a lot less people know the phrase than I thought :) Our
other name alternative is BigCaboose, but my wife was hoping to use
that for her women's clothing line.

> It sounds like it could work really well, it's just the getting started
> bit... Maybe you should offer 100% of the ad revenue to developers for the
> first 10 games published? Maybe even 200%? Have a contest?

All excellent ideas. Thanks! - rajat

--
Rajat Paharia
rajat at cs.stanford.edu