[casual_games] future of shockwave

Jordan Lee jordan at 1g.com
Fri Oct 21 16:04:20 EDT 2005

We were in a similar situation with our products, where we had to make a
decision between shockwave and flash.  For us, shockwave turned out to
not really be an option at all, as our user base is reluctant to install
any new plugins at all.  If you are going to continue with dhtml
versions, than you can't really loose by developing alternative
shockwave versions.  And since you say it would be very straightforward,
development time/costs shouldn't be a problem either.

The only two problems I can see are:

1. Macromedia discontinuing shockwave/director altogether
2. Development issues resulting from two separate product lines

I can't comment on the first problem, as I don't know if thats likely,
and the second problem can be minimized by careful planning and re-using
as many of the game assets as possible.

It would be a much harder decision if you were dropping your current
products and switching to shockwave.

Jordan Lee,
CTO, 1 Gaming Inc.