[casual_games] future of shockwave

BRENT SILBY brent at def-logic.com
Sat Oct 22 01:36:43 EDT 2005

Hi there,
I'm happy to comment on the strengths and weaknesses of dhtml games. I've spent several years researching this. Let me know if you are interested in looking at the sprite engine I use for my games. It is open source and comes with detailed documentation.

Strengths:
---------------
* Open source--depending on your point of view.

* Source code can be made unreadable if you wish to protect your work.

* No plugin required. Since the late 1990s browser have been built with dhtml ability. In the early days there were substantial differences between browsers, but since the w3 standards, browser dhtml implementation is converging. Theoretically, a dhtml game will play on any browser--IE, Mozilla, Safari, on any platform--mac, linux, windows. There is currently some performance differences between these. The current Firefox release is a bit slow with dhtml, but Firefox 1.5 beta is much better. Safari on the mac is pretty good with dhtml. And Internet Explorer has brilliant dhtml performance (despite being a bit behind in standards support).

* Because no plugin is required, dhtml games are sort of future proof. Well, as long as browsers support dhtml, anyway :)

* Widgets on the Mac are dhtml objects. They are very small in filesize and sit on the desktop in a minimized state waiting for use.

* Gadgets for Windows sidebar are also dhtml programs. A great way to offer casual game players an alternative to web-based games.

* Javascript is a robust object orientated programming language.

Weaknesses:
--------------------
* Open source--depending on your point of view.

* The old cross browser compatibility problems. These are not so much of a concern anymore. When the next Firefox is released this problem should be a thing of the past.

* Speed problems in current Firefox release (see above comment)

* Speed issues. On low end machines, dhtml games can lag a bit. It depends on complexity of the game, of course. I think any machine better than 1gig CPU will handle anything I've ever done. In fact, I've managed to run some of my games on old 266megahertz machines with only a slight performance drop.

* I have a small 3d engine, but it is really slow, so at this stage 3d is not really an option :(

* On Firefox, the arrow keys will sometimes scroll the play area of the game causing undesirable effect. To overcome this I use I,J,K,L movement keys. Some people find this confusing.

* No anti-aliasing. Though, in Firefox and IE7, alpha transparancy in PNG is supported, so that's a step in the right direction.

I hope these comments are useful. I'm actually a big supporter of dhtml--despite considering using shockwave. I think dhtml is an underused tool.

Cheers,
Brent.

DEF-LOGIC
VIDEOGAMES