[casual_games] Casual Games Wiki Deletion

Kim Pallister kimpall at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 24 16:20:00 EDT 2005

I'm a little wary of any "sure, come post stuff about your company"
policy for the wiki.

Pros:

-          You'll get more content up there, faster

-          Company reps know their company best

Cons:

-          Assymetrical balance between companies (Company A has 50
works, company B has 500 - Is B "more important" or did they just take
the time)

-          "objective" voice likely to give way to "marketeer" voice.

At the very least, there should a policy recommendation about what to
post, how much of it, and keeping it informational. Last thing we want
is someone cutting and pasting their entire company pitch. Even the
blockdot example, while short, definitely tells you little about the
company (it assumes you know) and just tells you how to get in touch
with them to do business. Playfirst's entry is much better as an example
of the right (IMHO) voice.

There's probably some history with Wikipedia here (I have a friend who's
involved with that project whom I've pinged with some questions on the
subject) but there are probably reasons why they chose to invoke their
"no advertising your products" and "no creating posts about yourself"
policies. Anyone have any background on this?

My hope is that we can keep the wiki having a very objective,
informational feel to it.

If there's desire for such a policy, I'd be happy to take a stab at one
and post it (where else but) to the wiki.

My 2c,

Kim