[casual_games] Casual Games Wiki Deletion

johns at worldwinner.com johns at worldwinner.com
Mon Oct 24 16:41:20 EDT 2005

hi

( 05.10.24 13:20 -0700 ) Kim Pallister:
> -          Assymetrical balance between companies (Company A has 50
> works, company B has 500 - Is B "more important" or did they just take
> the time)

why does this matter? so one company has a posting and another does not.
there are many reasons why a company may not have a listing on the wiki
[for instance, mgmnt doesn't give a flying f]. there are just as many
reasons why a company may have a listing [bored admin staff].

this is a wiki- not a financial report ...

if the wiki becomes more well known as a valuable resource, the
companies will put their information on there.

> -          "objective" voice likely to give way to "marketeer" voice.

?

there are no objective voices ... [or maybe i just didn't drink the
'kool-aid' ...]

> At the very least, there should a policy recommendation about what to
> post, how much of it, and keeping it informational.

eh- one page. that's the recommendation. a wiki is a more informal way
to share information. i know this is hard for you at microsoft, but
let's just open it up and see what sticks. if the company information is
garbage, just skip it. if a company wants to put a whole lot of stuff on
their page, most of us won't read past 'the fold'.

i think it might be a good resource for some idga members. all the idga
needs is the disk space for ... let's say 500 wiki pages [wildly
optomistic]. not too much if you ask me.

> Even the blockdot example, while short, definitely tells you little
> about the company (it assumes you know) and just tells you how to get
> in touch with them to do business. Playfirst's entry is much better as
> an example of the right (IMHO) voice.

but on a wiki- it's up to the people making the content to decide what
voice they want. it's grass roots, not top down.

--
\js	oblique strategy: discover the recipes you are using and abandon them