[casual_games] RE: Business models

Allen Varney allenvarney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:14:26 EDT 2005

Brent Lowrie wrote:
  (((This is the unknown that most new developers fear and having access to
this sort of information would help more new developers break out of indie
development and into commercial deals.)))
  "Break out of indie development"? This makes indie gaming sound like a
second-string, minor-league affair. I argue indie game developers are in a
far better situation, both economically and culturally, than the
increasingly beleaguered developer of retail computer games.
 For a discussion of the benighted state of retail game development, see
Greg Costikyan's article in the current issue of The Escapist magazine:
  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/3
  And to see why I think casual-game designers are far better off in the
long run, see my article "Casual Fortunes" in the same issue:
  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/14
 -- Allen Varney
www.allenvarney.com <http://www.allenvarney.com/>