[casual_games] Portals: Room for improvement?

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Thu Sep 1 18:11:31 EDT 2005

In my mind, I still use today a term that a good pal in the industry (hi
David :) ) once taught me. It is called "download velocity", and it's when
you can come up with a fairly good projection of how much a game is going to
sell after a sample of a day worth downloads in a semi-prominent place in
your channel. You calculate the conversion rate, and then based on your
experience on how much a title can grow in your channel over the next couple
of days (20%, 30%, etc.) you know more or less if that title is going to
become a hit or not.

Example: Assume a hit in your web site is 10 copies a day, and when you put
a game in a prominent space you get ~500 downloads a day. If after 24 hours,
the title sold 6 copies, then you know that title can reach a very decent
amount of sales.

This is not the only parameter I would use to evaluate a title though.
Because of game mechanics, some games need more time, but since almost
everybody uses the same trial format we are giving more or less the same
amount of entertainment in every game.

What I just said may generate a little bit controversy, so I'd love to hear
what other people think.

Cheers,

Juan