[casual_games] Portals: Room for improvement?

Wade Tinney wade at largeanimal.com
Thu Sep 1 17:55:59 EDT 2005

I think the next level for portals will mean *some* form of dynamic
retailing. Amazon is a good model for this, but it could be something
much less sophisticated as well. i.e. Don't show someone games that they
already have installed on their computer (but DO show them tips or new
content for that game), make recommendations based on games they've
downloaded or purchased (like Bejeweled? You'll lose your !@#$ing mind
over Bepearled!!), et cetera. Obviously, there are all sorts of ways to
extend these simple examples.

>From a developer's point of view, it would be great if portals changed
the positioning (promotion) of games dynamically with an eye to
balancing out downloads across all titles, at least within a set period
of time from launch. We all know that placement has a huge impact on
download volume and can help a new title establish momentum (or not, if
they get crappy placement). Obviously, it would be unwise for portals to
promote underperforming titles beyond a certain point, so the idea here
would be to at least give equal opportunity to more than just a few
titles.

While we're on the topic, I'd love for some of the folks on this list
from distribution channel to share their "Top Ten List" algorithm with
us. Anyone?
Is based on download volume? Conversion rate? Revenue? Something else?

-Wade