[casual_games] RE: negotiation costs

Marty Plumbo me at martyplumbo.com
Sat Apr 8 10:07:02 EDT 2006

If you want the real dirt on a potential partner talk privately with
people who have worked with them ... people will generally speak more
freely
verbally in private than they will in writing in public ...

-----  I'm sure you're right about that, John.  Still, it would be
nice if there were some sort of open, maybe even peer-moderated,
venue to act as a clearing house for such information - sort of a
"game developers' Better Business Bureau" for all of us helpless
newbie-indies types.

How would you connect with the right people? They were all at the
Casual Game Summit
and Minna Mingle at GDC in March, and they will be at Casuality in
Seattle in June.

-----  Go to the conferences - noted.  Thanks for that tip too,
John.  Being based in the midwest, attending the various game-
development conferences would constitute a serious investment for
me.  But if they really do work as networking enablers, as you appear
to indicate, that could help justify the expense of attending all the
more.

You can also just ask for references; for example, we
are happy to introduce parties we are in business discussions with to
current/former partners as requested.

-----  Awesome!  Are you looking for new titles right now?   ;-)